Job Title: Power Electronics Engineer
Function: Electrification Applications
Reporting to: Engineering Manager
Date of preparation: 14th April 2021
The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
Purpose of the Role
• You will drive new developments in Power Electronics, including a new hybrid system, suitable for automotive and motorsport applications
• Architect hardware design solutions
• Participate in defining Mclaren Applied’s technology strategy in Power Electronics
• Perform design reviews across a variety of applications, including motorsport, automotive and transportation
• Mentor junior engineers
• Support technical pre-sale activities on an ad-hoc basis
• Attend relevant conferences or seminars to remain up to date with current technological developments
• Will have experience of Power electronic design for high performance energy recovery systems, this includes inverter, DC/DC and battery pack BMS systems
• Are able to mix Power electronic design with analogue sensor interfaces;
• Have knowledge of how to optimise circuit design for ease of manufacture and production test;
• Are able to take designs from concept through to market, working to challenging timescales;
• Have a practical knowledge of functional safety standards such as ISO26262;
• Are able to optimise component design to maximise efficiency, package density, reliability and thermal performance;
• Can work as part of a multi-disciplinary team including hardware, software, mechanical and systems engineers;
• Are able to engage with a broad range of stakeholders and work within a matrix organisation.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
First class or upper 2nd honours degree in a relevant electrical or electronic engineering subject, or equivalent experience.
Values and Behaviours
You will be a key representative of McLaren Technology Group’s Values and Behaviours, the framework of which can be found here.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail all duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature which are commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
We believe in diversity and equal opportunities. Our people are our core strength and as such we create an environment that is all encompassing and inclusive.
Be proud. Be yourself!
To apply for this job please visit careers.mclaren.com.