The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
Purpose of the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Data Platforms team, you will be passionate about technology and eager to use the most effective and applicable technologies to plan, lead on and develop robust and scalable software in keeping with our technology roadmap, across the full product lifecycle.
You will work on a variety of challenges to deliver complex products and solutions for our ATLAS (Advanced Telemetry Linked Acquisition System) suite and other OCS (Off Car Systems), which ultimately enable race engineers and strategists to access powerful, race-winning insights in F1 and other motorsports series.
Our software combines many capabilities, including data capture, visualisation and modelling of real time and historic data for detailed analysis, reporting, anomaly detection and enabling the best strategic decisions to be made.
Using your expert knowledge in Software Engineering and through clean and consistent coding, you will make significant contributions to optimise our methods of data streaming, aggregation, manipulation, modelling and visualisation, whilst providing clear technical input and guidance within the ATLAS team and to our customers.
· Plan and lead the development of solutions for new features and maintenance tasks across the ATLAS software suite, in keeping with the technology roadmap and business imperatives
· Collaborate closely with product managers and Field Application Engineers to understand and resolve complex race issues
· Become recognised as an expert in your discipline within the organisation
· Analyse user requirements, for both validity and feasibility
· Detect, document and track software defects and inconsistencies
· Apply quality assurance principles throughout the Agile product lifecycle
· Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities, in collaboration with the ATLAS software development team
· Meet or exceed our unit test case code coverage
· Work with other developers to support pull requests, peer reviews and knowledge transfer
· Contribute to release planning and burndowns by providing development estimates
· Write comprehensive technical documentation and proposals
· Identify risks and dependencies, escalating appropriately when required
· Develop and demonstrate new applicable technologies, for use within the Atlas product suite and other commercial realities
· Manage and deliver work outside the remit of our core domain when required
· Mentoring less Senior developers when required
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
· First class degree or upper 2nd in Computer Science or similar technical field of study (or equivalent practical experience)
· Extensive relevant experience of at least 5 years, across several different roles
· Demonstrated continuous self-improvement to understand new technologies, principles and processes
· Proficiency in C# .NET
· Experience using SQL with time series databases
· Familiarity with CICD pipelines and test automation
· Good understanding and practice of agile project management frameworks
· Ability to work both as part of a team and individually and take the lead on solutions
· High attention to detail and solid analytical skills
· Experience in C++ / CLI
· Experience using WPF/WCF framework
· Experience in database/application scaling, optimisation and monitoring
· Experience with graphics API’s (eg. DirectX or similar)
· Familiarity with message brokers such as Kafka
· Experience and understanding of building products on cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure and GCP and micro services
· Familiarity with designing, developing and creating RESTful web services and APIs
· Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed (eg. Python, Angular, React)
· Experience with dependency injection frameworks (eg. Autofac)
· Experience in distributed computing, machine learning, data science
· Experience with building data pipelines, data streaming applications
· Experience in, or enthusiastic, about motorsport
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail all duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature which are commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
McLaren Applied are committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) and promote DEI in all we do.
To apply for this job please visit mclaren.bamboohr.com.